This is a popular breakfast of the south canara region of Karnataka.In Konkani 'paan' means leaf and 'Polo' means dosa/crepe-meaning as light as a leaf.In Kannada 'Neeru',in Tulu'Neer' means water which refers to the texture of the batter.It can be further modified by adding soaked chana daal,fresh chopped onions,coriander leaves for a different outlook.
Dosa rice 1 1/4 cups
Fresh grated coconut 2 tsp
Water to grind the batter
Salt to taste (about 3/4tsp,apprx)
Oil for making dosas
- Wash rice thoroughly and soak for 3-4 hours.
- Take the drained rice,coconut &salt in a blender.
- Add required water and blend to form a fine,smooth batter
- Transfer into a bowl
- Heat griddle and smear oil
- Take a laddle full of batter and splash to form a shape(need not be round,just cover the space)
- Cover with a lid,cook on medium flame for 30 secs.
- Apply oil if needed
- Fold into 2 or 4 folds.
- Serve with chutney,pickle,dali thoy or any spicy curry and for ones with a sweet tooth can have with coconut+sugar mixture or coconut+jaggery mixture.
- This batter is ready to use and does not need any fermentation.Any left over batter should be refrigerated,else becomes sour and dosas stick to the griddle.
- Can be prepared adding a little more coconut than mentioned for a rich flavour or no coconut at all..but will miss that aroma!!!