Godu Appo is a sweet dish which can be served as breakfast or an evening snack.Godu means sweet in konkani.This is prepared using a special pan having 7 tiny concave moulds ,either cast iron or teflon coated non-stick pans which are available in markets.
It is also offered to Lord ganesha on several occasions such as ganesh chathurthi,Sankashti as naivedya. This is an instant version using familiar ingredients found in kitchen and using blender just to incorporate the contents resulting in a mouthwatering dish which can be prepared in no time.
Medium rava/semolina 1cup
Thin poha/beaten rice 1/2 cup
Fresh grated coconut 1/2cup
Jaggery/brown sugar 1//3 cup(or according to taste)
Salt 1/2tsp(to taste)
Ripe banana(yelakki variety) 2 ,optional
Cardamom/Elaichi powder 1/4 tsp
- Peel the bananas and roughly chop.
- Put this into a blending jar.
- Add coconut,salt,jaggery and beaten rice and just pulse it several times till it becomes coarse.
- Add the rava/semolina in batches with little water and again pulse it first then blend to get a smooth thick batter consistency.
- Transfer into a vessel and it should be like idli batter,add water only if required.
- Heat the appe kaaili/appe pan adding little ghee.
- When it is smoking hot add ladleful of batter into the moulds till three fourth full.
- Cover with a lid and reduce the flame to medium low.
- With a spoon gently tilt the appos and adding little ghee flip to roast on the other side.
- It should be golden brown on both sides.
- Repeat the procedure for the remaining batter.
- Serve with butter and honey for an extra sweet taste.